Thursday, February 16, 2012

Timed Run


This morning we did our timed run. It was just over half a mile to the loop, followed by 2.5 miles timed and then the half mile back. Surprise of surprises (dripping with sarcasm) when I found my time to be a 9.5 minute mile. I swear I am a darn metronome!

At my natural pace I'm a 10 min miler... consistently. Seriously, if I leave to go for a run, look at the clock and come back and I've been gone for 40 minutes, I can guarantee I ran almost exactly 4 miles. I map it out to check, but really it's a waste of time. If I am pushing it, and dealing with shorter distances, I'm usually somewhere around 9:15 - 9:30. When I did the Cherry Blossom 10 miler last spring, not only did I finish at a perfect 1 hour 40 minutes, but when they displayed my split times in the formal results I had consistently done 10 min miles throughout. The same thing happened at my half marathon: 2 hours and 11 minutes (on the dot!). So now that I've spent the last two years learning to run and pushing the distance, now hopefully I can pick up the speed!

 _______________________________________________________________________

What are split times?

"When training for a race such as a half marathon, timing different sections of the race, or splits, are used to help improve performance and training. The segments, or splits, can vary but one mile intervals are typically used. Split times are also used for pacing during a race and can improve race performance when used properly."

No comments:

Post a Comment