Sunday, February 19, 2012

Getting out in the sun...


Considering the fact that during my first year of training we didn't get to do an outdoor bike until late March, and even then we were battling below freezing temperatures, I consider myself extremely lucky to have gotten to not only have an amazing ride this weekend, but a warm one at that! My girlfriend who is doing both the Philly Tri and the Columbia Iron Girl with me, along with another spin savvy friend, joined me Saturday morning for our first outdoor bike of the season. The weather could not have been better: sunny skies and high 40's.

We took off from Mount Pleasant and headed down into Rock Creek to Beach Drive. Following it north into Maryland, crossed over East West Highway, past the Mormon temple until Beach Drive dead ends into Garrett Park. There and back clocked us in at just over 26 miles.

One thing that was made apparent on this ride is that my bike could use a little spring sprucing. This is an area I could definitely use some guidance since, outside of changing my tire, I know little about bike maintenance. Considering how expensive a new bike would cost, it is in my best interest to treat the one I have with all the TLC possible. So we decided we are going to attend one of the zillion free bike maintenance classes held at bike shops across the metro area... soon. Adding to the to-do list...

No comments:

Post a Comment